Collagraph and Coloured Pencil: Landscape

detail 1: 4 inch section of Landscape, 14 x4 inches approx, collagraph with coloured pencil on Fabriano Rosapina paper

detail 2 : 3 inch section of Landscape, 14 x4 inches approx, collagraph with coloured pencil on Fabriano Rosapina paper
The whole image: Landscape, 14 x4 inches approx, collagraph with coloured pencil on Fabriano Rosapina paper

I came across this 14x4 inch collagraph in the 'do-something-with-this-later' drawer. I think it was an offcut from a larger collagraph plate, cropped before it was printed and then printed with the same inks that I'd been using (green and yellow), just to see what happened.

It had originally been vertical and part of a seahorses/underwater series of printmaking. Looking at it horizontally I saw a landscape.

Using coloured pencils I worked on it in warm rosy hues to contrast with the cooler green. I want to darken and cool with deep blue the area around the right hand tree a little before I'll call it finished I think.

After working a bit too tightly sometimes recently, it was very freeing to simply play with an image, pulling the landscape from the abstract shapes.

Comments

Robyn Sinclair said…
Such a delicious print, Vivien. I love it when you go on adventures with mixed media. Lovely.
Hi Vivien, collographs...yum! They're so tactile and thrilling. I like the way you've worked back into this one.(Nice to know other people have one of those drawers too..)
Unknown said…
Love this. Great way to use up something you aren't happy with and turn it in to something beautiful. I need to look in to my drawer - lots there! Now all I need is your talent!
Kelly M. said…
Wonderful! Funny how those "maybe someday" pieces float into our consciousness and work days, months, years later. Glad you enjoyed your play and relaxed!
I am such a fan of your incredible work. The green is intoxicating.
vivien said…
thank you everyone :>)

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook