Saturday, October 04, 2008

collage and experimenting in sketchbooks


collage and mixed media in sketchbook, swirling surf at the sea's edge. Vivien Blackburn

It's fun to just play and experiment sometimes - new ideas develop that way.

The sketches above are a mix of collage - marbled paper, some brown and olive green paper, a torn up small painting and a touch of coloured pencil, biro and tippex (typing correction pen)

I like using collage and really ought to use it more often in larger work.

This was done in Lindsay's sketchbook in the FPP sketchbook exchange.


Do you use collage?

8 comments:

Kari Gibson said...

Oh, lovely sketchbook work - mine are too untidy to show the world, lol!

Yes, I do collage a lot, especially in my beeswax work and I am currently experimenting with ways to adhere papers to watercolour paper in such a way that the paint isn't overly affected.

Look forward to seeing the work you produce with collage in mind!

vivien said...

I'll look forward to seeing how that goes :>)

and thanks!

oh lots of sketchbook pages are terribly scruffy and messy! this was for one of the exchanges so I kept it tidy!

daviddrawsandpaints said...

I sometimes try making collages but it's like everything else with me - when I start to find it difficult and taxing on the brain I move on to some other bright idea. Other artists always seem to do it better anyway, like these sketchbook collages of yours.
I may be inspired by what you do to try something larger as well, if I find time after my subconscious musings!

vivien said...

go for it!

It's something I keep meaning to do.

First I'm going to learn marbling as the marbled paper works so well for the ripples at the edge of the waves :>)

I've just done a huge post on the sketchbook exchanges your spaceman is due for a watery landing by the way!

daviddrawsandpaints said...

I'm braced and ready for my return to earth as you will see from my response on MoleyX :o)

That's the longest post I've ever seen. You're beginning to get as big a blether as me!

vivien said...

:>D

Cathy Gatland said...

You've reminded me how much I enjoyed doing two large collages out of failed watercolour paintings - these are lovely pages.

vivien said...

thanks Cathy :>)

recycling is good!