Developing the linoprints


Linoprints with coloured pencil in sketchbook. Vivien Blackburn

I've been experimenting with those linoprints, The first one done on tracing paper glued to the left hand page, coloured on the reverse side (so the image is reversed and the print paler). The image was then continued on the other page of the sketchbook with the cp's. The paper is hand made with quite a rough texture and ragged edges,
The second one was printed on white tissue paper and continued across the book in the same way, again with coloured pencils.
The last one isn't a good photo - it looks better IRL, the oil pastel is shining in the light a bit and not showing the colours well. It's the monoprint roll up with the overprinted tree, worked into with coloured pencils and a little oil pastel.



straight linoprint and sketch - a reminder of the source of these images

I'm playing with digital versions as well -you are going to be sick of this willow!

Comments

Lindsay said…
Vivien, I love this post and your description of the technique. You make your prints so personal and painterly. I want to dig out my lino stuff again.

I can't tell if my first comment went through. Blogger is acting up this am
vivien said…
thanks Lindsay

for some reason there are 2 comment links below this post ??? weird! I think the other comment went there

you mentioned marker paper in it and no I've never used it - it sounds interesting. I have a 'thing' about paper and sketchbooks!
sionwyn said…
I suspect I won't get sick of it, I love that block. The first image in this post is especially delicious.
Anita said…
Gorgeous, Vivien. I have come to the conclusion lately that I am missing experimentation in my work. Seeing what you have been doing here confirms this. I love these pollarded willows. Have you been to the Somerset Levels? Wonderful willows there.
laura said…
These are wonderful. Something about that tree is mythic; it strikes me it could be an illustration for an Arthurian legend of something ... a tree where Merlin lives!
Robyn Sinclair said…
Fascinating and beautiful, Vivien. I'll have to come back for a close examination tomorrow. You always excite me with possibilities. And no, we're not going to get sick of this tree :)
annie said…
We won't get tired-- keep 'em coming!
It is such fun--and what a learning tool for me--to see you play with an image. I think it fires us up to try things, too.
annie
Robyn Sinclair said…
Finally I have time to come back for a second look. These work beautifully in your rustic sketchbook, Vivien. Now I'm itching to experiment.
vivien said…
sionwyn your trip sounds amazing! ... and thank you :>)

Robyn and Annie - thanks :>) I played with some more today, painting them with oil paints and then printing - they are wet just now But I'm happyish with them.

Anita - I've never explored the Somerset levels - just seen them when passing down the M5 heading for Cornwall! which isn't to see them at their best. Those willows are fascinating shapes. These didn't have a history of being pollarded - the council in their typical heavy handed way just chopped the tops of some really big trees :>(

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge