an interesting new sketchbook with brown paper pages - and hydrangea in coloured pencil


Hydrangea, coloured pencil on brown wrapping paper in A4 sketchbook, 6.5 x 5.5 inches,Vivien Blackburn

A friend, Daryl, kindly sent me this interesting sketchbook with pages that are brown wrapping paper. I rather like this paper to draw on so I thought I'd do a series of pieces in different media to see how they work.

It did quite well holding many layers of cp - the surface is fairly smooth and it worked much better than I expected. It's quite thin paper though, so wouldn't take a lot of rough handling. (Ignore the colour variations in the paper, that's my fault in the scanning/adjustment)

Now I have to try it with paint and other drawing media - I'll post some of these when I do them.

It's nice to work on a variety of papers, different colours, textures and weights.

Sorry about the absence and scarcity of posts - work is a bit hectic at the moment with a project going on and me having to work extra hours. Things should calm down next week. I also have to organise work for an upcoming show.

Comments

Anonymous said…
lovely piece of work :)
Jennifer Rose said…
the paper worked well with the CPs in getting the subtle colour variations in the hydrangea :)
Krista Hasson said…
Great hydrangea, interesting sketch book,. Who makes it?
Lindsay said…
I always like to hear about new sketchbooks and your drawing is lovely. Can't wait to see what it does in other media.

Good luck with your up coming show.
Julie Dunion said…
There is just something special about art on brown paper, that I can't quite put my finger on, and this is no exception. I've used it pastels before but had no idea it would work so well with CP. Now where did I put that roll :-)
Janet Pantry said…
Love this Vivien. I'm amazed you got such lovely rich colours with pencils on this paper. More pics please!
Teresa Mallen said…
From what you have accomplished, this paper must be a winner! A most delicious and delightful hydrangea - in my favourite medium no less. :-)
vivien said…
wow! I only put this on late last night - and all these comments!

Thanks Annie, Jennifer, Krista (I don't know who makes it I'm afraid as a friend saw it in her local art shop. It doesn't have a brand name),Lindsay, Julie, Janet and Teresa. :>)

I used to do a fair bit using brown wrapping paper but haven't in a long time - it was fun.
Jean Spitzer said…
You are reminding me of the nice scratchy texture of brown paper, and also how nice it is to start on with that color. Lovely drawing.
dinahmow said…
Looks lovely, Vivien. I have used the stiff brown paper with some good results, but the lightweight stuff just became instant papier mache when I sloshed water colour on!It will be interesting to see your test results.

(I think there is someone on Urban Sketchers who does buildings in white chalk/crayon on brown paper.)
Maree Clarkson said…
Hi Vivien, as I was awarded the Kreativ Blogger Award by Crista from Nature As Is (http://nature-as-is.blogspot.com) I, in turn, have to state 7 things about myself and nominate 7 blogs of my choice, I have chosen to nominate you as one of my inspirational fellow-bloggers. Go to
http://artandcreativity-maree.blogspot.com/2009/07/blogger-award.html view the post.

Regards
vivien said…
Maree - thank you :>)

Jean and Dinah - yes it wouldn't take watercolour for sure - but probably acrylic or gouache would be ok and oil certainly would be.

Ink and chalk would be interesting ....

I just need time!
dinahmow said…
Hello again! I have a few tree sketches on my blog
http://moreidlethoughts.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/viviens-tree-challenge/
I like your sketch very much. I, too, like that Kraft paper but it IS so thin!! I'll be amazed if you can get it to behave properly with watercolor washes--but then, you work magic all the time with your art materials, so why should this be an exception? ;D.
Good luck, Vivien, with your work and other demands.
vivien said…
:>D tooo much faith Laura!

I'm tempted to try .....
laurel said…
I've seen those journal books and been tempted. Beautiful hydrangeas.

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook