aerial views of the canal and packhorse bridge

I have just discovered http://maps.live.com - it's amazing! the 3D views are much better than they look here in reality but I had to take photos of the screen as it isn't possible (as far as I can see) to save them or link to them.




They show the canal, the River Byam coming in to join it, the canal bridge, modern footbridge carrying the path that goes for miles alongside the river/canal and the old packhorse bridge stretching out across the fields.

This microsoft site is much better than the google version and if you live in an area (I do) where you can zoom in on your house - well Big Brother really is watching you! You can see garden tables and patios, the ivy up the end wall and wall in the front garden - the back of my house is rather hidden by trees - the detail is fantastic and you can look from the north, south, east and west.


I don't know it this will work but I found out where to link :)
this should link to the aerial view of frog island, where the charcoal sketches of the weir were done.
it works :) - I don't know how to make that link shorter! but it works and you can scoot about the area using the hand, change direction of view with the North/south/east/west arrows, close in - have fun! You don't need to register
you can clearly read the name on the factory I sketched and if you look west you can see the bench I sat on! it really is incredibly good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What fun! I couldn't fathom the size of that Packhorse Bridge until I saw this. Thanks for that link.
Lindsay said…
What a great link!!! I somehow had the illusion that you were working in a area that bordered wilderness! Well, that myth is dispelled. This area is quite built up but nice to have such a green park. I'm going to see if I can find my Des Plains River now.
vivien said…
No Lindsay up to now they've been townie images - the packhorse bridge is on the edge of the city and Frog Island is in the city centre nearly.

There are lots of trees and wild overgrown bits threaded throught the city though.

I want to get out into the countryside asap - Friday I hope with friend Ros.

Yes Annie, it puts the scale in context :) seeing it in the aerial view
Lindsay said…
Vivien, your idea of arial paintings is a WONDERFUL idea. Get the birds eye perspective. Sharing this trans Atlantic Project is lots of fun.
vivien said…
:) I love aerial views or high viewpoints so I think it could be great

one of my favourite contemporary painters, David Prentice takes an aerial viewpoint a lot - he was influenced by the cartoon childrens story books - Rupert Bear - in his youth! most of the illustrations have an aerial perspective on the characters. There's a link to his work on my blog and it's well worth looking at
Making A Mark said…
Great site - thanks for the link Vivien

I wish they were doing angled shots rather than straight down. They've got a 'share' bit but I still don't quite understand it.
Making A Mark said…
You have at least answered one question for me - which is that when you click on the link you can see all the other sites you've searched for which are still on the scratch pad.

But you don't seem to be able to see any other personal details - but maybe that's because you don't have ana ccount yet?
vivien said…
I haven't registered so I don't have an account - I'm a bit suspicious of microsoft on my computer!

the share bit gives you a link for emails and blogs - I haven't tried the clipboard option yet but I must.

You do get quite an angle on the views if you are in an area where they've done the 3D - my house is very clearly angled. London, strangely doesn't seem to have been done yet - I tried looking at landmarks there and could only get a straight above, aerial view.
Anonymous said…
We stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I should check
things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.

my web-site - removal Tree

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook