gnarled root, drawing in charcoal, pastel and coloured pencil

Gnarled tree root, drawing in charcoal, pastel and coloured pencil, approximately 11 inches square


Drawn with Pitt charcoal/graphite mix pencil, with touches of pastel and coloured pencils on blue grey pastel paper. It was an amazing shape to draw, fluid and convoluted.

We were experimenting with creating landscapes from still life objects. I don't much like the piece I did from this so may rework it before showing it here.

I also did a very quick landscape sketch from a flintstone, this time without a preliminary observational sketch. I'll scan that later.

Comments

Jean Spitzer said…
This is a beautiful drawing of an intriguing object. I was surprised when you said landscape: The first things that came to mind when I looked at the driftwood were animal shapes. For landscape, I guess I see something involving a bridge.
Robyn Sinclair said…
This one is beautiful. Great dimension and palette.
vivien said…
thank you both :>)

yes it is very animalistic but the brief was landscape - seascape of course!

It would make the basis for a wonderful fantasy animal wouldn't it?

Maybe another project ....

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook