that list of things to do

Katherine sent me this list of 'things to do' and it's popping up on everyone's blog at the moment! so here's my take on it - some of the list seem weird choices to me!



1. Started your own blog - yes
2. Slept under the stars - no, I like comfort!
3. Played in a band - no, sadly no musical talent :>(
4. Visited Hawaii - not on my list of things I want to do
5. Watched a meteor shower yes
6. Given more than you can afford to charity - yes

7. Been to Disneyland - NO!!!! and no wish to!
8. Climbed a mountain - yes - Cader Idris
- and does going up Snowdon on the little train count? no? well it was brilliant anyway!

9. Held a praying mantis - no
10. Sang a solo NO
11. Bungee jumped NO WAY!!!!
12. Visited Paris - yes and had a brilliant time - saw the Marmottan museum, the d'Orsay, the Jeu de Paume, the Orangerie, the Rodin Museum, the Pompidou Centre and more :>)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea Yes :>)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch yes

15. Adopted a child - no
16. Had food poisoning - yes :>( and was very ill
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty - no but my dad did
18. Grown your own vegetables - yes we used to grow lots
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France no - we skipped the Louvre in favour of paintings I like better
20. Slept on an overnight train - yes when leaving Scotland to visit family in England, en route to living in Malta
21. Had a pillow fight - yes with the kids
22. Hitch hiked - yes when I was young and foolish!
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill - yes but not for years
24. Built a snow fort - no, we don't get enough snow
25. Held a lamb - yes, lovely
26. Gone skinny dipping - no I wouldn't inflict that on the world
27. Run a Marathon NO
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice - no but I'd LOVE to
29. Seen a total eclipse yes a year or two back, very strange light
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset - often :>) and painted them too

31. Hit a home run - we don't play baseball here - it is baseball is it?
32. Been on a cruise - no, not my scene - been on boat trips!
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person - no
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors - yes
35. Seen an Amish community - no
36. Taught yourself a new language - no but improved my French before revisiting France and I'd love to learn Italian and Spanish
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied - no :>(
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person - no
39. Gone rock climbing - NO chance! I'm not good with heights - or balance
40. Seen Michelangelo's David - no - but I < whisper > don't actually like it!
41. Sung karoke NO Way
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt - no but I'd like to
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant - no
44. Visited Africa - no but I'd like to
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight - yes :>) fantastic
46. Been transported in an ambulance- yes but only home from hospital with daughter 2

47. Had your portrait painted - yes, by me :>)and that was only because we HAD to for a uni project
48. Gone deep sea fishing - no I don't do hunting/shooting/fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person - no
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris - no but I'd like to
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling - yes to snorkelling in the Mediterranean(Malta)
52. Kissed in the rain - yes
53. Played in the mud - yes but only as a child
54. Gone to a drive-in theater - no - I've never lived where they had one
55. Been in a movie - no
56. Visited the Great Wall of China - no but I'd like to
57. Started a business - no, I don't want to
58. Taken a martial arts class - no, I don't want to
59. Visited Russia - no, I'd love to
60. Served at a soup kitchen - no
61. Sold Girl Scout cookies - no
62. Gone whale watching - no, I'd love to
63. Got flowers for no reason - yes
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma - no
65. Gone sky diving - I don't like heights so they'd never prise my fingers loose from the door!
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp - no, my daughter visited Auschwitz and was powerfully affected by the visit
67. Bounced a check - no
68. Flown in a helicopter - no but I'd like to
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy - yes I did for years but no longer
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial - no, nor do I want to!
71. Eaten Caviar - yes, not keen
72. Pieced a quilt- yes but oh so slow, not something I did again!

73. Stood in Times Square - no , not something on my list of wanna do
74. Toured the Everglades - no , not something on my list of wanna do
75. Been fired from a job - no , not something on my list of wanna do
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London - no , not something on my list of wanna do
77. Broken a bone - no , not something on my list of wanna do :>)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle - no , not something on my list of wanna do
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person - no but I'd love to
80. Published a book - yes my book of paintings :>)
81. Visited the Vatican - no
82. Bought a brand new car - no
83. Walked in Jerusalem - no
84. Had your picture in the newspaper - yes but I try to avoid it
85. Read the entire Bible - no
86. Visited the White House - no , not something on my list of wanna do
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating - NO way
88. Had chickenpox - yes
89. Saved someone's life - no
90. Sat on a jury! - no I avoided my call up because we were going on holiday
91. Met someone famous - yes, several painters
92. Joined a book club - yes and what a mistake! getting OUT of bookclubs isn't easy!
93. Lost a loved one - Yes :>(

94. Had a baby - x2

95. Seen the Alamo in person - no , not something on my list of wanna do
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake - no , not something on my list of wanna do
97. Been involved in a lawsuit - - no , not something on my list of wanna do!
98. Owned a cell phone - yes, it's very useful :>)

99. Been stung by a bee - no - does a wasp count? I was once stung by a wasp
100. Read an entire book in one day - often!


a curious list - lots of more interesting things that could have been there

101 visiting prehistoric Cave paintings in France - (yes) a really fantastic experience and more meaningful for me than Disney!

102 visiting South America and Aztec?Inca ruins - no but I'd love to

103 having grandchildren - yes, just the one but it's fun :>)

104 moving back to Cornwall into a house on the clifftop - no :>( but when my lottery numbers come up .......


105 visit China - no but I'd LOVE to

and lots more I'm too tired to think of now - perhaps you can?

Comments

dinahmow said…
I seem to be "with you" on many of those responses. Clearly, directed towards Americans under a certain age!
Enjoy whatever celebrations you plan for Christmas. Good wishes to you and loved ones.
Robyn Sinclair said…
I think seeing the cave paintings in France would be my most 'want to do' and living in a cliff-top house in Cornwall sounds pretty good too. I'm sending positive vibes for your lottery win, Vivien because I'd like to be invited to visit you in Cornwall ;)
vivien said…
Thanks Dinah and the same wishes for you too :>)

Robyn keep sending those positive vibes and you are top of the invitation list!
Making A Mark said…
OK - well we've got to do the middle aged and living in the UK version now!
Anita said…
Interesting list, Vivien. I felt the same about seeing David but it was SO worth it - brought tears to my eyes. Cistene Chapel on the other hand, definitely not worth the queues! Possible ones for me next year - the great wall of China. What would I like to do most right now? Walk on a beach! Ahh a house on a cliff in Cornwall - wonderful. Keep buying those lottery tickets!
Have a wonderful Christmas, Vivien!
vivien said…
a good idea Katherine :>)

Anita a lot of works are like that aren't they? I reserved my opininion on Antony Gormley's Field - and when I saw it IRL it was incredibly powerful and photos can never catch its impact.

So I'll reserve judgement on David ;>)
Anonymous said…
As a librarian this "92. Joined a book club - yes and what a mistake! getting OUT of bookclubs isn't easy!" made me laugh. I totally understand LOL. I get asked from time to time and always say no thanks...
my croft said…
31. Yes that's baseball, said the AMERICAN who is most definitely above that "certain age" ((hmpf = feigned annoyance)) but it's also a metaphor for "an impressive success" so if you think a bit, you may be able to say yes to that as well.

Happy holidays, Vivian, and much peace in the New Year.

melanie
vivien said…
Librarian - mmm I love books, I think I could have been quite happy working with them :>)

ah that makes more sense now Melanie :>) thanks

and Happy Christmas to you both
my croft said…
I have been to Disneyland -- it's not what we usually mean when we toss around the word "genius" but whether or not you like [or approve of] what they do, they do it with genius. It's a remarkable immersion experience, and I do recommend it. I think it helped that I was 32 (or so) and without children and so could keep aloof from the massive commercial part of the immersion. But I freely and unashamedly admit to being wholly and happily seduced by the "magic of childhood" part -- which is pure dead brilliant.
vivien said…
I know others who have loved it Melanie and it does look well done - I just hate crowds personally and love quiet, lonely, beautiful places

....and the unchanging expression on those characters who walk about/parade always put me off as a child! I know there is a LOT more to it than that of course :>)

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook