back to painting :)















I've finally been managing to find some time to paint. I don't like artificial light so I really need to paint through the morning and into the early afternoon and then stop. When the weather is grim and grey I hate the light to work in. I do wish I had a south facing studio, I know north facing is traditional but I really don't like it.

I have been working on the 5 seascapes - tall and thin - 48in+ high and 12-14 in wide. Then I decided to work on some more trees.

This is the trees/landscape in progress. It has quite a way to go and this isn't a great photo as it was taken with flash and misses some details, like where I've scratched thin branches through to the underpainting of oranges and drab purples and it's a bit dark.

details:














It's done in oil on canvas over another painting (that I hated!) in oranges and greens and dull purples. I've used the colours to shine through the snow and come through in the bark of the trees. I also scratched through to the underlying colour for the thin twiggy branches of the trees, giving them a glow. This hasn't photographed very well unfortunately.












It now needs to dry so that I can continue. I'm keeping it to a fairly limited colour range but will add more blue/purples to the shadows in the snown and some hints of green into the bark of the trees, a suggestion of life, waiting for Spring.
The distant woods are only scrubbed in and need working on and the composition may be pushed and pulled a bit until I'm happy.

I think the canvas is 20x30 ins

I've got half a dozen 40in square canvasses looking at me reproachfully but I felt the need to get started before bringing them out.

I've just updated to the new blogger - no longer beta so I hope there are no glitches. So far so good and it certainly looks better and quicker to use.

Now I have to go and do some of the endless teaching paperwork :(

Comments

Veedubya said…
Lucious painting, Vivien! Beautiful contrasts and sumptuous surface.

My Sketchbooks are chaotic too. As a left handed person, I also work in toward the middle from front and back! Yikes!

Nice to know you haven't had any glitches with the new blogger. Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge