Brancaster Staithe, Norfolk, photos


Brancaster Staithe from the Common . Photograph, Vivien Blackburn

I'm staying with my younger daughter for a few days. Today we went to Brancaster Staithe, a salt marsh harbour on the North Norfolk coast.

This is the view from the Common, up the hill above the village - you see the complex layout of channels from there - the sea is only accessible to boats when the tide is high.


Brancaster Staithe, the harbour. photo Vivien Blackburn





We've been lucky and the weather has been gorgeous :>)

Back with paintings in a few days :>)

PS you can see a slide show of more photos on our Watermarks blog

Comments

dinahmow said…
There is something about salt marshes and Norfolk's Broads that draws me in. Often, cold, wet, windy(and smelly!)...it has a fascinating pull to older times.
Thanks for the memory! :-)
vivien said…
they aren't wild and untamed like Cornwall but they have a charm of their own don't they?

This is north Norfolk - just round the corner from The Wash, so a bit different from the Broads area, which I don't know so well. I always wanted to do a boating holiday there but himself never wanted to.
Robyn Sinclair said…
Looks like some wonderful sketching opportunities, Vivien. Goodness one be at the mercy of the tides there though.

I look forward to your paintings. Enjoy your break!
. said…
I don't know the area at all but everyone who speaks about it does so with a lot of love, it makes me think I should visit :-)

Lovely photos!
vivien said…
Nicki it has a quality of its own - but you live in such a beautiful place that it isn't worth the journey for you I have to admit!

I'd love to get up to Scotland again - I love the far north west

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

paint or sketch trees: challenge