playing with watercolours and coloured pencils



This is a page of watercolour studies of pansies, not intended to be 'a painting', I did a while ago that I came across.


It's a grey rainy day and the light isn't good to get on with the canvasses so I decided to try to pull it together as a composition. I used a bit more watercolour and coloured pencils and cropped it and added the soft blue green background to cool it down a little - the colours felt too hot. The deep dark pansies were really velvety and intense and maybe not the colour scheme I would have set out to use with the orange and pale yellows - but the background helps to knit them together. Bringing the soft mauves into the darker flowers also helped.


I also took another look at a mixed media woodland that was unfinished and worked a little more on that.


It has a little oil pastel in the early stages, watercolour and then coloured pencils.

Comments

Blog by Jake said…
Just over from Wet Canvas and looking at your art. Great work!

Jake
Katherine said…
Really nice treatment of both Vivien - and a big talent for using coloured pencils in a mixed media way
vivien said…
thanks Jake :)


and thanks Katherine :) - it's the way I've used them for a long time, using them in their alone is a relatively new thing.

I do love mixing media

Popular posts from this blog

linoprint fish and digital experiments

7 go to wales - sketching in north Wales

cats in art and a monotype of a cat