a bit of digital manipulation


digital collage - Vivien Blackburn


This is a very simple digital collage, combining some of the rocks from the long panoramic view of Sennen Cove with the marbling *analogue* collage shown earlier, made using my marbling experiments.

I used the clone tool and multiple layers to add to blank areas and change things a little. Then the burn and dodge tools to lighten and darken areas for emphasis and the eraser to delete unwanted areas and redefine rock shapes with new edges.

Finally I flattened the layers.

I could possibly develop this into an abstract in the future, on a large canvas. moving it on not simply copying it, so when my printer recovers from its nervous breakdown I'll print it off and put it in my sketchbook for future reference.

I thought the patterns went quite well together. What do you think?

Comments

melur said…
cooooool!!!!!
nice blends
vivien said…
thanks melur :>)
Jeanette Jobson said…
oooh I really like this Vivien. The colours and shapes are marvellous. More more more!
vivien said…
thank you Jeanette :>)

did you get my email?
vivien said…
thank you Jeanette :>)

did you get my email?
vivien said…
thank you Jeanette :>)

did you get my email?
Jeanette Jobson said…
I got the email Vivien, thanks.
Yellow said…
How the flippin heck did you do that. It's fantastic.
vivien said…
Steph it isn't hard honestly - I'm not a techie! it's just using the clone tool to 'paint' elements from one image to another.

have you got photoshop or something similar like Artweaver (free)? just experiment with the clone tool and eraser.
Yellow said…
Computors, I use them and am very scared of them. I can crop an image & rotate it but that's about all.
vivien said…
:>)

I know the feeling!
dinahmow said…
Hmmm...the marbling in this is rather Rackhamesque.Altogether, the image looks lovely, especially the way you've got the dimensional "shift" in the mid section. Way to go, Vivien!

And I see you mention a freebie called Artweaver...I think I'll give that a whirl. Too many vet bills for non-freebies right now!
vivien said…
Artweaver is worth looking at - I haven't used it for much but downloaded it for a friend who is very non-techie and it looked as though it would do a lot. It was recommended by some tech experts.


Rackham-esque - mmmm I hadn't thought about it but I can see exactly what you mean :>)
This is an exquisite piece of work Vivien!The colours and flow of lines and shapes. I do enjoy working with photoshop, but artweaver I don't know yet...will have to try it!
Ronell
laurel said…
It's beautiful!
vivien said…
Thanks Laurel and Ronell :>)


I haven't really used Artweaver and if you have photoshop that's better - but for those who don't I'm assured Artweaver is very good.

Popular posts from this blog

The Eye, Urban/Rural exhibition

playing with watercolours and coloured pencils

Hedges silhouetted agains the snow, winter light: watercolour and Derwent tinted charcoal pencils in Stillmand and Birn Beta Hardback sketchbook